Note: The range of topics covered in Banana Moments: Family Business Quarterly encompasses birth to young adult issues. After raising two sons, I can safely say that parents of young children will benefit by learning about productive ways to think about and respond to the modern issues of older children growing into young adulthood. The fundamentals never change but the circumstances of culture and society do. To be well-informed, encouraged and inspired to confidently lead our children so they can become self-governing and secure is the ultimate aim of this publication. Welcoming your insights and stories. To receive your subscription, contact Joanna at email@example.com.
As a parent thinketh…
After nearly three decades of parenthood that started when the floppy disk and compact disks were the advanced state of digital media in the home and transitioned into the wild, wild, West of the Internet and smart phone, I have experienced that the hope of the cyber-powered generations is to conquer the boundary-less WWW frontier with the mustard seeds of faith that enabled the republic of the United States to be established and prosper.
Along the way I have made mistakes, and there were moments when my mustard seeds of faith were few and far between. I am today a mother reformed by the grace of God. So I wrote a book, The Authority In Me, as my thanks to God for giving us children who are resilient and bless us despite our human flaws, and for the opportunity to strengthen our faith and our relationships at home in response to the disruptive and empowering influence of the Internet and mobile phones.
Cyber technology is a game changer for being a kid and parenting…so this book addresses how to apply faith and build confidence in the network culture. Drawing upon personal experience, fieldwork and research, issues like cyberbullying, sexting, the culture of drug addiction, pedophiles, and anxiety are addressed with perspectives, tips, tools and recommendations that help us nurture our children’s inherent ability to think for themselves and be self-governing.
“The digital world is a concern for many parents and a topic worthy of much thought and discussion. This manuscript inspires parents to know their own boundaries and voice them to their children. The content is insightful and relevant.”
–Debbie Pincus, MS, LMHC Empowering Parents
“Our children only pass this way once. A parent is and always will be a child’s first teacher. This inspirational book reminds parents of their primary role and what happens when parents use their life’s gift to influence, guide and place reasonable controls on their offspring. It is a must read for all who want to take back their children.”
Dr. Susan G. Weinberger The Mentor Consulting Group
To download samples and order: The Authority In Me – by Joanna Jullien (Publisher: Smashwords, $2.99 – available in all ebook formats including Kindle, Nook and PDF)
- CyberParenting hot topics on The Fish 103.9 FM Tuesday mornings
- Three Moms and A Mike – A new talk show to elevate the conversations about the issues facing youth and families.
Last month Symantec contacted me about reviewing their on-line family cyber security product called OnLineFamily.Norton – which is available to the public at no charge. There is no requirement to purchase anything from Symantec/Norton. The product offers a very comprehensive solution for parents to monitor and meter the independence children have on the Internet. The demonstration and video are very impressive, and I am searching for Banana Moments subscribers to give it a try and report back so we can report on the effectiveness of this solution.
BeMoneySmartUSA is a non-profit in Carmichael dedicated to providing information, guidance and wisdom about making money work for you. Geared for teenagers, these free workshops offer inspiration, tips, and “how to’s” that teens don’t know to ask. A new series of workshops just opened October 2010 through May 2011. Check out the website for more information to register: BeMoneySmartUSA
- “This workshop really helped me to understand the importance of saving and planning for the future, it helped to answer many of the questions I had about Finance.” 17-year-old attendee, anonymous
- “I not only learned the principles of money management, but how to put them into use in a practical way.” Karli,18-year-old attendee
- “I didn’t just learn about finance, but also about some of the traps, issues and problems that I have to watch out for when using credit or not planning for my future.” Brandon,15-year-old attendee
3. Free Encouraging Relationships podcasts. Kim Fredrickson is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist who specializes in strengthening family relationships and bonds, and Kim is a regular contributor to Banana Moments. She is offering a free podcast – weekly messages of encouragement and inspiration.
4. A fellow Banana Moments subscriber has shared a link to a website designed to help families support family members understand better their roles in recovery from substance abuse: Recovered Family.
5. Free College Planning Register for free workshops.
6. Empowering Parents Great newsletter with tips and insights for dealing with strong willed, angry and challenging children.
7. Franny’s House A non-profit that offers a 24-hour crisis help line, counseling and training for families in emotional distress.
8. B.R.A.V.E. Society Non-profit helping families and communities address peer abuse.
10. Sacramento Cyber Safety Column Topics (free subscription)
- Sextortion: How to stop a predator in his tracks
- Why childhood rites of passage in the network culture matter
- Parenting challenge 2012: Keeping up with digital natives
- On-line family photo sharing is a child safety matter
- How heavy is your child’s backpack? (Academic anxiety and substance abuse)
- How young people rule their cyber world
11. Check out the Banana Moments Blog
Joanna interviewed by Nikki Medoro, KFBK reporter who just launched her mom blog: Mama on the Mic.
The Business of Life
Banana Moments is producing content for the Business of Life Series produced by BeMoneySmartUSA and the California Lottery which was published in the San Francisco Chronicle and Sacramento Bee in October.
Related Banana Moments links for The Business of Life series produced with BeMoneySmartUSA:
May all your banana moments be rewarding as well as challenging!
The following resources have contributed to Banana Moments and offer valued expertise and support.
- The Mentor Consulting group
- Coalition For Placer Youth
- Impact Teen Drivers
- Stop ‘N Go Driving and Traffic School
- The FearlessParent
Family Life Tools and Applications
- OnLineFamily (Norton)
- Otter App – Text Life Management
- Kaspersky Internet Security (Free to Surewest Customers)
Family Counseling Support
- Encouraging Relationships
- Fall Creek Counseling Associates
- Motivating the Teen Spirit
- Barry Lessin, Adolescent Drug Addiction and ADHD specialty Ft. Washington, PA